A Translation of an Alphabetic Acrostic Poem by Gendun Choephel

Anyone, wherever they're from,
Be it Beijing, Calcutta, the snowy
City of Lhasa or Nepal; I've
Discerned they've all the same nature.

Even if they shy from clamor, and
Fashion themselves modest, they cast for
Garments, goods,1 and coin just as 
Haggard fishermen angle for their catch.

In flattery, blue-bloods take pleasure;
Joy for blue-collars is dishonesty & deceit;
Kids dig the swagger, and the style,
Like the trendy savor smokes & beers.

Merely some bizarre pageantry,
No matter how it's dressed, be it
Offerings of food and drink, or
Priestly garb, pendants, or marquees.2

Quiet austerities for meals;
Reciting scriptures for alms; Or
Seeing prestige in pilgrimage;3 
Thinking clearly, it's all for wealth.

Unformed-minds of all these crowds: 
View them as so many cattle,
Wedded to their pedigree,4
Xenophobic, chock-full of disdain.

Yet here we are, helplessly earth-bound,
     Awaking in this joyless,
     Animalistic enclosure;5
Zephyrs of flesh & bone, up to ruin...6
     If I speak honestly, it's so; My,
     How it gets under everyone's skin!

1 These “goods” are literally “tea and butter.”
2 The fourth and the sixth set of verses are switched in this translation for purposes of retaining the alphabetic nature of the acrostic.
3 Literally the Tsa Ri pilgrimage.
4 Literally “fixated towards their mother and father.” pa pha a ma'i phyogs la zhen pa
5 Literally “goat-house or dog-house.” Missing in this translation due to meter and space is that the “mountains and valleys,” la lung, are the places without joy.
6Zephyrs” here translates gyu ma'i lus, literally “illusory body;” wind is similarly without substance, apparitional, and phantom-like.  





ཀ་ལི་ཀ་ཏ་བལ་ཡུལ་པེ་ཅིང་དང་། །
ཁ་བ་ཅན་གྱི་གྲོང་ཁྱེར་ལྷ་ས་སོགས། །
ག་ས་གང་དུ་ཡོད་པའི་མི་འདི་རྣམས། །
ང་ཡིས་བལྟས་ན་རང་བཞིན་གཅིག་པར་མཐོང་། །

ཅ་ཅོ་འུར་ཟིང་ཕྱོགས་ལ་མི་དགའ་ཞིང་། །
ཆ་ལུགས་ཞི་དུལ་གནང་བ་ཁོང་ཚོ་ཡང་། །
ཇ་མར་གོས་དང་པད་ཤག་མཐོང་བའི་ཚེ། །
ཉ་པ་རྒད་པོའི་སེམས་དང་ཁྱད་མི་འདུག །

ཏ་རེན་སྐུ་དྲག་ངོ་བསྟོད་གཏམ་ལ་དགའ། །
ཐ་མལ་མི་རྣམས་གྱོ་དང་སྒྱུ་ལ་དགའ། །
ད་ལྟའི་ཕལ་ཆེར་ཐ་མག་ཆང་ལ་དགའ། །
ན་གཞོན་རྣམས་ནི་མཆོར་སྒེག་ཉམས་ལ་དགའ། །

པ་ཕ་ཨ་མའི་ཕྱོགས་ལ་ཞེན་པ་དང་། །
ཕ་རོལ་རིགས་མི་མཐུན་ལ་སྡང་བ་སོགས། །
བ་ལང་དང་ནི་རང་རེའི་མི་རྣམས་ཀྱི། །
མ་བཅོས་སེམས་ཀྱི་རྒྱུ་དག་གཅིག་པར་མཐོང་། །

ཙ་རིའི་གནས་སྐོར་བྱེད་པ་མིང་གི་དོན། །
ཚ་གྲང་དཀའ་ཐུབ་བྱེད་པ་ལྟོ་ཡི་དོན། །
ཛ་ཡའི་གསུང་རབ་ཀློག་པ་ཡོན་གྱི་དོན། །
ཝ་ལེར་བསམས་ན་ཐམས་ཅད་ནོར་གྱི་དོན། །

ཞྭ་མོ་ཆོས་གོས་བ་དན་བླ་བྲེ་དང་། །
ཟ་རྒྱུ་ལྟཧུང་རྒྱུའི་མཆོད་པ་ཚོགས་འཁོར་སོགས། །
འ་ཅག་རྣམས་ཀྱིས་ཅི་དང་ཅི་བྱེད་པ། །
ཡ་མཚན་ལྟད་མོ་ཙམ་ལས་གཞན་མ་མཐོང་། །

ར་ཁང་ཁྱི་ཁང་ནང་དུ་སླེབས་པ་བཞིན། །
ལ་ལུང་གང་ན་བདེ་སྐྱིད་མི་འདུག་ཀྱང་། །
ཤ་ཁྲག་སྒྱུ་མའི་ལུས་འདི་མ་འཇིག་བར། །
ས་སྟེང་འདི་རུ་མི་སྡོད་ཀ་མེད་ལགས། །

ཧ་ཅང་དྲང་པོར་བཤད་པ་དེ་འདྲ་སྟེ། །
ཨ་ཙི་གཞན་ཚོ་ཚིག་པ་ཟ་ལས་ཆེ། །

Comments

Dan said…
Quite an impressive achievement turning a Tibetan alphabetic poem into an English alphabetic poem. I don't know if anyone ever achieved it before, I'm sure not so well. Lopez didn't try to do it at all (it's no. 54 in his In the Forest of Faded Wisdom book), and I think your translation is better.

It did occur to me that the phrase ra khang khyi gang (Lopez translates "goat shed or a doghouse") doesn't make much sense. Or maybe it just means an enclosed room full of dogs, which I imagine would have gotten very messy very fast...

Yours,
D
Unknown said…
Thank you Dan. I'm a big fan of your blog, and quite excited for your comment!

You'll see I took some liberties to achieve both line-length and the alphabet... Both in word-choice and in line order. But "xenophobic" fit too well to place those four lines anywhere else :P And then there's that pesky fact that we have 4 extra lines at the end... What to do? I'll revise it if I think of something...

As for the goat-house dog-house, I think you're right... The basic imagery is it's crowded and smelly.
Dan said…
Dear D, No reason for excitement, is there? I hope not. Anyway, I often still have little good angel vs bad angel things going on in my mental continuum about what it means to be free in translation work. Recently I almost without thinking translated phal-cher as "lion's share." But then I thought people will be angry at me because they would expect to find seng-ge'i skal or the like in the original, see the word phal-cher there, and then blame me. So I changed it. But then I put it back precisely because it sounded just right in the context and I thought, Well, If those translation readers aren't going to give me this much freedom, they can just take this job and shove it!

Yours,
D
Unknown said…
ah therein lies the rub, meaning in language doesn't correspond to discrete word-by-word units, it tends to come in contextualized chunks. i think lion's share is a nice one! keep up the good work. and as always, i appreciate the feedback...

Popular Posts